Lemon & Rasberry Polenta Cake
By Lauren Tangey
I made this recipe for my wonderful mother-in-law while we were living in their home. Cathy is coeliac, and her daughter Tahnee, my sister-in-law, is gluten intolerant, so a lot of cakes and biccies and things are out of the question. I was dubious of how this would turn out, but I was pleasantly surprised.
– 220g unsalted butter, soft and cubed
– 1 cup white caster sugar
– 1 1/4 cup almond meal
– 3/4 cup of polenta (cornmeal)
– 1 1/2 teaspoons of gluten free baking powder
– 3 large free-range eggs
– zest of two large wax-free lemons
– 1 cup of frozen or fresh raspberries
**Pre-heat oven to 180*C
1. Line the base of a 23cm / 9inch spring form cake tin with baking paper and give a quick spray of non-stick oil around the edges.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until soft, pale and creamy.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the almond meal, polenta and baking powder and mix thoroughly. Then mix 1/4 of the dry mixture into the creamed butter sugar mixture.
4. Follow this by adding one egg, then another 1/4 of the dry mixture. Alternate dry ingredients and eggs beating the whole time until all the mixture is combined.
5. Stir in the lemon zest and fold through the raspberries.
6. Pour the mixture into your prepared cake tin and bake in the oven for 40-50minutes.
7. Test with a dry skewer; if it comes out clean, it’s ready.. if not, pop it back into the oven for another 10minutes.
8. Allow the cake to cool in the tin before serving.